Daily Devotion June 23

June 23: Philippians 4:10-13

KJV Key Verse: Philippians 4:13
13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Devotion:
How much do you show respect to your elders? Do you open doors for the elderly? Do you help them when they are struggling? Do you go out of your way to stop and help others? It is a sad reflection on our modern society to see so many young people ignoring and disrespecting the elderly. I don’t say this as a complaint because I am getting older but as an observation of the actions of many young people around me toward those whom I respect and help.

I’m not sure if I would expect the young people to open doors for me or to help me across the street when I am older, but it just seems like it is a part of my life and not a part of their lives; one I am trying to teach them to bring back into their lives. Christ teaches us to love one another. That does not mean we need to buy people things and shower them with gifts, chocolates and flowers – though each of those can be seen to be a sign of affection. It means being there when they need a little help, being there when they need support, being there when they need someone to talk to and being there in unexpected ways for them.

I am truly thankful for all God has allowed into my life, from my early life in Zimbabwe, to my life here in England, for my children and for my friends and family. I thank Him for the good things that have happened and also the troubled times through which I have learned so much. But most of all I thank Him for the times when I have seen how much He has given me strength to get through the tough times.

I know what it is like to have money and spend far too much. I know what it is like to have none and wonder how I am going to last another day. Each one of those days has taught me how much I need God in my life and how much I can still do for others no matter what state I am in myself. I now try to help where I can, love whom I can and support anyone I can – because I know Christ has done this all for me!

Points to Ponder:
Do you find yourself weak at times?

How much strength do you draw from God?

Comments

Popular Posts