God's Wisdom for Daily Living


Proverbs 10:6-11:(KJV):

6 Blessings are upon the head of the just: but violence covereth the mouth of the wicked.
7 The memory of the just is blessed: but the name of the wicked shall rot.
8 The wise in heart will receive commandments: but a prating fool shall fall.
9 He that walketh uprightly walketh surely: but he that perverteth his ways shall be known.
10 He that winketh with the eye causeth sorrow: but a prating fool shall fall.
11 The mouth of a righteous man is a well of life: but violence covereth the mouth of the wicked.

Thought for the Day

Verse 6 - Throughout Scripture we are told that we will reap what we sow. If we follow Scriptural advice, we will receive God's blessings. If we disregard it and continue to sin, we will receive the evil that sin produces.

Verse 7 - People remember what kind of things we do in life. History records the deeds of the wicked and the just, as does the Bible. This verse tells us that we will remember fondly the deeds of just people and bless them, while the names of wicked men leave a rotten memory. Even in families, honorable members are recalled with admiration, while shame attends the memory of the "black sheep." We should take inventory of our lives and ask ourselves what kind of legacy we are leaving behind us.

Verses 8-9 - Those who walk according to God's Word take sure steps, since they are led by God's Spirit. Fools fall because they do not walk uprightly; those who pervert their lives eventually will be found out. We are known by our deeds(Proverbs 20:11). Many Christians say the right things, but their lives reveal that they do not "walk the talk." Jesus describes them inMatthew 15:8: "This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me."

Verses 10-11 - Winking is often a signal that one is teasing or flirting. As used in verse 10, it indicates insidious designs toward someone. This kind of winking is done with impure intentions. Crafty people are often successful in their schemes against the naive. By contrast, the plans of fools usually fail and they themselves are ruined. A"prating fool"boasts idly, damaging both his own and others' lives. The word, "prating"means one who chatters foolishly and is an idle "blabber mouth." It is emotional violence to speak ugly things about others. Scripture warns us to guard our mouths and speak only what is edifying, for we reap the effects of our words. "A man's belly shall be satisfied with the fruit of his mouth; and with the increase of his lips shall he be filled. Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof" (Proverbs 18:20-21). Let us speak what brings life, and not what brings curses and death.

Prayer for the Day

Dear heavenly Father, I love you today and am grateful for all of Your goodness to me. Please forgive me when I have not spoken kindly of others. Help me to guard my mouth from speaking any kind of evil. May the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be acceptable in Your site. Lord, I cancel all words that I have spoken that have not agreed with the Word of God. I also cancel all evil words that have been spoken against me, my family or my ministry. Lord, please forgive those who would speak amiss against us. May Your people everywhere be careful to guard their tongues. Help us all to speak Your words and to be gracious and kind to one another. I ask this in the Holy name of Jesus. Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts