THE PROPHET WHO HAD TO OBEY BEFORE HE UNDERSTOOD

🔥THE PROPHET WHO HAD TO OBEY BEFORE HE UNDERSTOOD

When God gives an instruction before He gives an explanation

📖 “So Jonah arose, and went unto Nineveh, according to the word of the LORD.” — Jonah 3:3

There are moments in your walk with God when obedience will be required before understanding arrives.

God may tell you to go before He tells you why.
He may tell you to stop before He reveals what He is protecting you from.
He may tell you to wait before He explains what He is preparing.
He may tell you to release something before you understand what He is about to place in your hands.

And this is where many people struggle.

We want the explanation before the obedience.

But God often says:

> “Trust Me first. Understanding will come later.”

🌿

🕊️ JONAH WANTED AN EXPLANATION

God spoke to Jonah:

📖 “Arise, go to Nineveh, that great city, and cry against it.” — Jonah 1:2

Jonah heard the command—but he did not agree with the assignment.

Why?

Because Jonah knew something about God that he did not like.

He knew God was merciful.

📖 “For I knew that thou art a gracious God, and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness.” — Jonah 4:2

Jonah wanted judgment.
God wanted repentance.

Jonah saw Nineveh through the lens of what they deserved.
God saw Nineveh through the lens of what His mercy could do.

And here is the uncomfortable revelation:

Sometimes God will send you toward the very place you would rather see destroyed.

Sometimes obedience means carrying God's heart into a situation where your emotions want to carry judgment.

🔥 Jonah had to learn that God's assignment was bigger than Jonah's opinion.

---

⚔️ THE SHIP WAS NOT THE PROBLEM—DISOBEDIENCE WAS

Jonah ran.

He went in the opposite direction.

And suddenly, a storm appeared.

📖 “But the LORD sent out a great wind into the sea, and there was a mighty tempest in the sea.” — Jonah 1:4

Notice something:

The storm wasn't proof that God had abandoned Jonah.
The storm was confronting Jonah's direction.

Not every storm means you are under attack.

Some storms are invitations to turn around.
Some turbulence is not destruction.

It is divine interruption.

🌊

Jonah wanted Tarshish.

God wanted Nineveh.

And whenever our destination disagrees with God's direction, we eventually encounter resistance.

The question isn't always:
“Lord, why is there a storm?”

Sometimes the deeper question is:
“Lord, am I going in the direction You told me to go?”

---

🐋 THE FISH WAS NOT JONAH'S PRISON

This is where the story becomes astonishing.

Jonah was swallowed by a great fish.

📖 “Now the LORD had prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah.” — Jonah 1:17

What Jonah probably considered a catastrophe became God's instrument of preservation.

Think about that.

The thing that looked like the end of Jonah's story became the place where Jonah prayed.

The fish was uncomfortable.
The fish was dark.
The fish was unfamiliar.

But the fish was still under God's command.

Sometimes God will allow you to enter a place you never would have chosen because He is trying to bring you back to His purpose.

🕊️

You may not understand the place.
You may not understand the delay.
You may not understand why one door closed.
You may not understand why God said, “Wait.”

But don't confuse what you don't understand with what God isn't doing.

---

🔥 OBEDIENCE DOES NOT REQUIRE COMPLETE UNDERSTANDING

This is one of the deepest lessons in Jonah.

Jonah did not receive the entire explanation before going to Nineveh.

He received a word.

And eventually, he had to decide:

“Will I trust the One who spoke, even when I don't understand what He is doing?”

Faith is not having every answer.

Faith is trusting God's character when you don't have all the details.

📖 “Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.” — Proverbs 3:5

Notice what Scripture does not say.

It does not say:
“Trust God when everything makes sense.”

It says:
“Lean not unto thine own understanding.”

Why?

Because your understanding is limited.

God's vision is not.

---

🌿 GOD MAY GIVE YOU THE NEXT STEP—NOT THE WHOLE MAP

Abraham was told:

📖 “Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred... unto a land that I will shew thee.” — Genesis 12:1

God did not give Abraham the entire itinerary.

He gave him a direction.

And Abraham went.

📖 “So Abram departed, as the LORD had spoken unto him.” — Genesis 12:4

This is the pattern of faith:

God speaks.
Faith listens.
Obedience moves.
Understanding follows.

Sometimes we want:
Understanding → confidence → obedience.

But God often works:
Word → obedience → revelation.

🔥 You may never understand the next step until you take it.

---

👁️ THE DANGER OF ASKING GOD TO EXPLAIN EVERYTHING

There is a subtle form of unbelief that says:
“Lord, explain everything first, and then I'll obey.”

But if God explained everything, where would faith be?

If you already knew how everything would end, you would not need to trust Him.

📖 “For we walk by faith, not by sight.” — 2 Corinthians 5:7

Faith says:
> “I don't see the whole road, but I know the One who sees the road.”

Faith says:
> “I don't understand the delay, but I trust the God who is never late.”

Faith says:
> “I don't understand why You closed that door, but I trust Your wisdom.”

Faith says:
> “I don't understand the assignment, but if You said it, I will obey.”

🕊️

---

⚠️ SOMETIMES YOUR EMOTIONS WILL ARGUE WITH YOUR ASSIGNMENT

Jonah didn't struggle because he couldn't hear God.

He struggled because he didn't like what God said.

That is a different problem.

There are people who say:
“God, speak to me.”

But when God speaks, they negotiate.

“Lord, surely You don't mean that.”
“Lord, that's too difficult.”
“Lord, what will people think?”
“Lord, I don't feel ready.”
“Lord, give me another assignment.”

But sometimes the answer is simply:

“Obey.”

Not because God is cruel.

Because He sees what you cannot see.

---

🔥 THE MIRACLE WAS NOT ONLY NINEVEH

We often preach Jonah as a story about Nineveh.
But there was another miracle happening.
God was changing Jonah.

Nineveh needed repentance.
But Jonah needed surrender.

Nineveh needed to hear God's word.
But Jonah needed to learn God's heart.

And sometimes the assignment God gives you is changing you while you think you are changing everyone else.

🌿

You think God sent you there for them.
But God may also have sent you there for you.

You think the waiting season is about your circumstances.
But God may be using it to transform your character.

You think the closed door is about your future.
But God may be dealing with your dependence.

You think the wilderness is punishment.
But God may be teaching you how to hear His voice without the noise.

---

🕊️ THERE IS A BLESSING ON THE OTHER SIDE OF OBEDIENCE

Jesus said:

📖 “If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them.” — John 13:17

Notice:

Not merely knowing.

Doing.

There is knowledge that sits in the mind.

And there is revelation that changes the life.

You can know Scripture and still refuse obedience.
You can hear sermons and still resist surrender.
You can understand God's principles and still run from His instruction.

But when revelation becomes obedience, something changes.

🔥 The Word becomes life.

---

🌅 WHAT IF GOD IS WAITING FOR YOUR YES?

Maybe you have been asking:
“God, show me what You are doing.”

And perhaps heaven is answering:
“Take the step I already showed you.”

Maybe you are waiting for another confirmation.
Maybe you are waiting for perfect circumstances.
Maybe you are waiting until you feel brave.

But obedience rarely waits for perfect feelings.

Noah built before the rain.
Abraham went before he knew the destination.
Moses stretched out his staff before the sea opened.
Joshua stepped into the Jordan before the waters completely parted.
Jonah went to Nineveh before he knew what the people would do.

🌿

Sometimes the miracle is on the other side of the step you are afraid to take.

---

🔥 THE DEEPEST REVELATION

Listen carefully:

God does not always give explanation before obedience because He is teaching you to trust His character more than your circumstances.

If you only obey when you understand, you are not completely trusting God.

But when you can say:

> “Lord, I don't understand—but I trust You.”

Something powerful happens.
Your faith moves from information to relationship.

You stop saying:
“I trust God because everything makes sense.”

And you begin saying:
“I trust God because He is God.”

📖 “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.” — Isaiah 55:8

---

🙏 PRAYER

Father,

Teach me to obey You even when I do not understand.

Deliver me from the need to control every outcome.

Give me the humility to follow Your voice when my emotions disagree.

When You say go, give me courage.
When You say wait, give me patience.
When You say release, give me faith.
When You say stay, give me endurance.
When You say speak, give me boldness.

And when I cannot see the whole road, remind me that You can.

Lord, don't allow my limited understanding to become an excuse for disobedience.

Give me the heart that says:

“Yes, Lord.”

Before I know why.
Before I see how.
Before I understand when.

Because I trust Who You are.

In Jesus' mighty name.

Amen. 🕊️🔥

---

🌿 ONE QUESTION FOR YOUR HEART

What has God already told you to do that you keep postponing because you don't yet understand why?

Perhaps the next revelation will not come from another explanation.
Perhaps it will come from your obedience.

“Obedience is the doorway through which understanding often enters.”

Comments

Popular Posts